Are Summer Camps Tax Deductible?

How to determine if summer camp is tax-deductible?

Is your summer camp tax-deductible? Likely, if you paid a summer day camp like Classroom Antics to care for a qualifying child under age 13 or a disabled dependent of any age. If this is the case you may qualify for a tax credit of up to 35 percent of qualifying expenses. Thirty-five percent of $3,000 for one child or dependent, or up to $6,000 for two or more children or dependents.

Flexible spending for summer camps

If you have Dependent Care Flexible Spending with your employer, use that first. If you don’t have that, you may itemize your summer day camp expense on your tax returns. The reason is your child’s day camp is a daycare expense. Daycare fees qualify for the child and dependent care credit.

Please note: This does not apply to overnight camps (also called residential camps). This only applies to day camps for children under 13 years old.

The cost of sending your child to an overnight camp is not considered a work-related expense. The cost of sending your child to a day camp may be a work-related expense, even if the camp specializes in a particular activity, such as computers or soccer.

IRS Federal Publication 503 (page 7)

Criteria for a tax deduction

  • Day camps, yes for children under 13 years old.
  • Day camps, yes for disabled dependents of any age.
  • Overnight camps, no.
  • Residential camps, no because you are a resident when at camp.

What is needed to apply for camp tax deduction?

You will need your camp’s Federal EIN number (also called a Tax ID number) and their street address in order to process your claim. For Classroom Antics, our EIN is 26-1167872.

Please consult your tax advisor on your specific situation. There are some situations, like divorce or caring for a disabled adult, that can affect this tax deduction.